Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

X-Men and Tigers tie 1-1

Photo by Nick Pearce
Photo by Nick Pearce

Written by Ryan Hyndman, Dalhousie Athletics

The Dalhousie Tigers men's soccer team played to a 1-1 tie against the StFX X-Men on Saturday evening.

The X-Men started strong from kickoff as Dyan Vil (Ottawa, ON) centered a ball which was turned away by the Dalhousie defense. Over the next few minutes the Tigers were able to get a few looks towards the net, but StFX keeper, Samuel Diltz (Newmarket, ON), was able to easily turn them away. In the 19' the Tigers got another great chance, as Benjamin Hashimoto (Charlottetown, PE) received a great ball in the box, putting it on net, but was once again stopped by Diltz with a nice kick save. Just moments later, Charlie Waters (Blackpool, ENG) for StFX was able to break in, just missing the net wide left.

In the 31' the X-Men were able to get a counter attack together, as Vil got a great chance on net, before Tigers keeper Emmett Workman (Halifax, NS) was able to get a touch on it at the last second. Minutes later the X-Men were awarded a free kick inside the Dalhousie end, but the Tigers defense played it well, blocking the attempt with a wall. In the 43' StFX was awarded another free kick off of a yellow card, which got around the wall this time, but was stopped by Workman with a diving save, keeping it 0-0 at the end of the first half.

Starting the second, the teams traded possession before Damian DeDekker (Ottawa, ON) got a shot on goal for the X-Men in the 52' minute, which was stopped again by Workman. The Tigers then got a chance of their own in the 60' as Hashimoto took a long shot, nearly missing the goal over the crossbar. In the 68' minute, Logan Rieck for StFX got a free look in the box, looking for the first goal of the game, just putting the ball just over the net.

In the 78', Cameron Shaw got a point blank shot on goal, but once again Workman made a great save to keep the match scoreless. Minutes later, Hashimoto found himself in another scoring opportunity in close, but it was stopped by a block by X-Men defender, Luke Green (Fall River, NS). Continuing to push, the Tigers got in close again, and this time Kyle Routledge (Halifax, NS) was able to deposit it in the top corner for a 1-0 Dalhousie lead in the 84'. StFX started pushing to tie it immediately, earning a corner kick in the 89'. DeDekker floated it into the box where Isaac VanWychen (Middle Musquodoboit, NS) was able to find the back of the net, tying it 1-1 with just minutes remaining. As time expired, the match ended with the same score, in a 1-1 draw.

Bennett Kishchuck (Whitehorse, YK) took home the player of the game honours for Dalhousie. 

The Tigers next match comes against Acadia next Friday, September 29 at 7:15pm in Wolfville.

The X-Men play next Sunday, September 24 in Wolfville against Acadia at 3:15pm. .