Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Women's soccer ties Saint Mary's 0-0

Women's soccer ties Saint Mary's 0-0

Source: Alix Bruch – SMU Huskies 

In front of an enthusiastic home crowd, the Saint Mary's Huskies earned their first point of the AUS season in a 0–0 draw against hometown rivals the Dalhousie Tigers. 

Despite being under pressure for much of the first half, it was the Huskies that produced the first scoring opportunity of the match. Third year midfielder Anelise Karakostas (Victoria, B.C.) made a darting run down the right side and put a dangerous cross in the box, but Tigers keeper Annabel Gravely (Toronto, Ont.) was there to take care of it.  

From there, the play moved into Huskie's territory where second year goalkeeper Grace Morrison (Halifax, N.S.) was put to the test when a penalty shot was called in the third minute. Dalhousie midfielder Morgan Leon (Toronto, Ont.) stepped up to the spot and drove the ball towards the bottom corner but Morrison dove left keeping the ball out of the net.  

Minutes later, the pressure continued with Chloe Richardson (Calgary, Alta.) making a darting run towards the goal but Huskie's defender Molly McLeod (Kamloops, B.C.) was there to make a crucial tackle to keep the home team level.  

The Tigers enjoyed the majority of possession for the remainder of the half, with second year player Leon pulling the strings in the midfield and fifth year defender Holly Buckler (Halifax, N.S.) looking dangerous on the right side. The Huskie's strong defensive play led by veteran player Genelle Morash (Chester, N.S.) was the difference in keeping the score 0–0.  

The Huskies started the second half with fresh legs up front, which gave the home team some offensive energy. In the first minute, first-year forward Virgina Boone (Halifax, N.S.) fired a shot on net forcing Gravely to make a save. The rebound fell to the feet of Karakostas who went for goal but Tigers defender Alexandra Doane (Brookside, N.S.) was there to block the shot.  

Minutes later, Huskie's forward Madlyn Blinn (Lower Sackille, N.S.) put a corner kick right to the head of Kamryn Brimicombe (Waverley, N.S.) who soared above everyone in the box to send the ball just over the bar.  

In the 55th minute, the Tigers gained momentum with a number of dangerous combinations up the left side of the field. However, their efforts remained fruitless as the Huskie's continued their impressive defensive play.   

The home team's defense remained solid until substitute Hillary Ogoke (Calgary, Alta.) was brought down at the top of the box in the 70th minute. Megan Chiasson (Lower Sackville, N.S.) stepped up to take the free kick, and the crowd held their breath as the shot was fired just wide of the net.  

Tensions were high in the last five minutes of play as both teams pushed to get the deciding goal. Karakostas was everywhere on the field for the Huskies, making crucial tackles and sparking the attack. In the 90th minute, Dalhousie standout midfielder Leon had one final chance to put the game away but once again Morrison was there to make the save.  

After 90 minutes of end-to-end action, the hard-fought Halifax Derby ended in a scoreless tie. Huskies goalkeeper Grace Morrison earned Subway player of the game honours for her strong play in net.  

Dalhousie (1-0-1) will have a day of recovery before returning to action on Saturday where they face the visiting Memorial Sea-Hawks (2-0-0) at Wickwire Field.  

Saint Mary's (0-2-1) plays Memorial on Sunday at Huskie's stadium where they have another chance for their first win of the season.