Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Tigers end season with 4-3 overtime win over Huskies

Photo by Ellery Platts
Photo by Ellery Platts

Game recap by Kirk Jessome

(Halifax, NS) – In the Dalhousie Tigers Senior Night game, they hosted the Saint Mary's Huskies at the Halifax Forum on Saturday. It took extra time to find a winner, but the Tigers ended their season on a high note with a 4-3 win.

It was a quiet first period from both sides till Dawson Theede (Brooklin, ON) broke down the right side of the attacking zone and fought off the Tigers defender on his shoulder to chip a quick shot over the shoulder of Connor Hicks (Kanata, ON) to open the scoring.

Both sides had plenty of power play opportunities in the back half of the period, but neither could come up with another solid scoring chance, and went into the first intermission with just the one goal to be found.

The Tigers found a great stretch of pressure midway through the second period, and were rewarded for it, as Kyle Yewchuk (Calgary, AB) through a puck toward the goal from the point that took a bounce and found its way to Colton Heffley (Swift Current, SK) at the side of the goal to fire it under the bar and even it up at 1-1.

Matt Green (Hammonds Plains, NS) had a great chance for the Tigers just minutes later, cutting across the top of the crease and trying to wait for Eric Brassard (St. Hubert, QC) to make a move, but Brassard was able to get a glove on the shot to make an outstanding save.

The second period belonged to the Tigers as Andrew Shewfelt (Dartmouth, NS) picked up a turnover in the attacking end and find a streaking Michael Dill (Windsor, NS) who made no mistake tucking his shot under the glove of Brassard to make it 2-1 for the Tigers going into the third period.

The Huskies opened up the period with a 2-on-0 chance while short-handed, but on a one-timer from Connor McGlynn (Oakville, ON) was stopped point-blank by Connor Hicks.

The Huskies, however, were able to come up with another chance a few moments later as Stephen Johnson (Moncton, NB) sent a puck out from the corner to Anthony Repaci (Toronto, ON) who hammered a shot into the far-side corner to even it up at 2-2.

Just seconds later, Repaci followed that up with a big steal in the offensive zone to find Theede in the slot for a quick one-time goal through the five-hole of Hicks to give his team the lead just 39 seconds after being down 2-1.

The Tigers were scrambling hard in the attacking zone near the end of the period to find an equalizer, and off an offensive-zone faceoff, Jack Hanley (Whitby, ON) fired a slap shot from the point that was deflected in front by Matt Green who finally found the back of the net and sent the game to overtime.

Both goaltenders were spectacular throughout the overtime frame, but the Tigers were able to come out on top when Colton Heffley sent a pass from the corner to the point for Duncan MacIntyre (Sydney, NS) who hammered a slapshot through traffic to find the top corner and give his team a 4-3 win in overtime. The goal also earned MacIntyre the Subway Player of the Game title.

The win wrapped up the Tigers 2019-20 season, while the Huskies will move on to the AUS playoffs with matchups to be determined by the end of the weekend.