Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Huskies win 4-2 over Tigers

Photo by Trevor MacMillan
Photo by Trevor MacMillan

Game recap by: Kirk Jessome

(Halifax, NS) – In another installment of the cross-town rivalry, the Dalhousie Tigers hosted the Saint Mary's Huskies in Friday night hockey action. An exciting second period was enough to get the Huskies on top and take a 4-2 final in this one.

Reilly Pickard (Halifax, NS) was stellar for the Tigers early as the Huskies were putting everything towards the goal from the outside. Picard came up big midway through the period when the Tigers defenders were caught up ice, leaving Anthony Repaci (Toronto, ON) with a chance to walk in alone. Repaci came in quickly and elected to take a low, short-side shot, but Picard got the blocker down in time to keep it scoreless.

The Tigers looked flat throughout the first period, resulting in defensive lapses and penalties being taken. The Huskies had another great chance towards the end of the period when Austyn Hardie (Halifax, NS) stepped off the blue line and into the slot for a quick one-time shot, but it rang off the crossbar and stayed out.

After 20 minutes of play, the teams went into the break scoreless.

It took eight minutes to go by in the second period for the Tigers to get their first scoring chance. On a power play opportunity, Jonathan Cyr (Ottawa, ON) provided a great screen in front for a shot that got by Eric Brassard (St Hubert, QC), but nailed the inside portion of the post and was cleared.

All it took was one good chance to spark the Tigers, as they were able to get on the board first in this one. On another power play chance, Connor Welsh (Halifax, NS) held the puck patiently at the blue line, and was able to find room through the massive crowd in front, and fired a quick wrist shot over the glove of Brassard to open the scoring.

The Huskies responded immediately with a goal of their own. After a long few minutes of holding pressure in the attacking zone, Aaron Berisha (Mississauga, ON) made a move to get around a defender in the slot, and was able to beat Picard five-hole to tie it up at 1-1.

Just a few minutes later, the Huskies were able to jump in front when a high shot was knocked down in front by Picard, but the rebound was collected by Dawson Theede (Brroklin, ON) and quickly tucked away to give his team a 2-1 lead.

After an exciting second period, the teams went into the break with the Huskies leading 2-1.

The Huskies continued to pressure early in the third period, causing scrambles in front of Picard, but the Tigers were able to clear the puck from danger.

Once again on the power play, the Huskies capitalized on a hard slap shot from Dylan Di Perna (Bobleton, ON) from the point that beat Picard down low through the screen.

With less than a minute left, the Tigers pulled Picard to get an extra skater. With just 22 seconds left, Chandler Yakimowicz (Kingston, PA) was left backdoor and was able to redirect the pass in to bring the Tigers within one.

It was too late for the Tigers however, in the dying seconds Alexander Peters (Blyth, ON) sent the puck the full length of the ice for the empty netter to seal the 4-2 victory for the Huskies.

Dawson Theede was named the Subway Player of the Game in this one.

The Tigers will be back in action next Friday when they travel to take on Acadia. The Huskies will also be back on the ice on Friday when they host StFX.