Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Tigers Women shut out Sea-Hawks 2-0

Photo Courtesy of Nick Pearce
Photo Courtesy of Nick Pearce

By Troy Langstaff

The Dalhousie women's soccer team got themselves back into the win column on Saturday after they defeated the Memorial Sea-Hawks by a score of 2-0 at Wickwire Field.

After two strong wins to start their season the Sea-Hawks came into this game with lots of confidence and it showed early in their match versus the Tigers. The first 15 minutes of play were heavily controlled by the Sea-Hawks with their earliest chance coming off of a corner kick in the 5' minute. A header by Kate Hickey (Outer Cove, NS) that would go just left of the goal. 

Dalhousie would find their feet and match the speed of play in the following minutes. In the 29' minute they would find their best chance of the game so far. A strong one-timer off the foot of Holly Buckler (Halifax, NS) from the top of the box that went wide of the goal. 

Memorial was pressing once again in the 31' minute when the Sea-Hawks' Claire Langille (Windsor Junction, NS) forced a turnover at half that led them into the Dalhousie box but strong defensive play by Alexandra Doane (Brookside, NS) would eliminate the scoring opportunity for Memorial.

The first goal of the game came to the Tigers' Riley Donovan (Toronto, ON) in the 39' minute after she intercepted a clearing attempt inside the Sea-Hawks box. A strong shot into the bottom left corner gave the Tigers the lead. 

Dalhousie almost extended their lead in the 41' minute after Carley Birrell (Hammonds Plains, NS) created her own space along the left side of the pitch and fired a shot from 25 yards out that just soared wide of the right post. 

Dalhousie carried their 1-0 lead into the half. 

The Tigers came into the second half with confidence and were looking to extend their lead early with strong offensive play resulting in a few corner kicks.

The 63' minute saw Dalhousie's Buckler fly down the right side of the pitch firing a strong shot on net deflected out of play by Sydney Walsh (St. Johns, NL). On the ensuing corner kick Morgan Leon (Toronto, ON) found the loose ball in the box and extended the Tiger's lead to 2-0 after tapping one into the bottom left corner.

The best chance of the second half for the Sea-Hawks came in the 68' minute when Langille fired a shot from far out but Tigers' goalkeeper Annabel Gravely (Toronto, ON) made a beautiful diving stop to keep her team ahead by two.

That's all the offense Memorial could produce in the second half as the Tigers would win the game by a score of 2-0. The SUBWAY AUS Player of the Game was Dalhousie's Morgan Leon

The Sea-Hawks continue their Halifax road trip tomorrow when they visit St. Marys. Kick-off goes at noon. 

Dalhousie is back in action next weekend at home on September 25th when they host Moncton at 3pm.